Oct 17, 2005

SUCKS



Just when I think that nothing worse can happen - it does.

I've spent most of this year (and part of last) going from crisis to crisis. The weirdest things have happened to me - things that I would have never thought could happen. Yeah - Yeah - I've heard the 'what doesnt kill us makes us stronger' but in my case I sometimes wish it had killed me.

My major fight has been with finances. . . now I am not the best record keeper so I know I have some blame here. BUT being a teacher in Polk County doesnt exactly bring in the money and several 'incidents' have long since sapped any savings I may have had. Therefore, many financial obligations have fallen seriously delinquent. And that brings me to why SUCKS is the title of this blog . . .

Several months ago - OK - January, I had written a check for cash but due to my decimated financial status - the check bounced - twice. This cause a fee and another fee as well as a trip to the State Attorney to pay another fee; all of which I forgot to do. In July, I was summoned to court regarding this matter and was given until October to take care of this obligation. However, as you have probably surmised by now, I failed to take care of it. There always seemed to be something more important I needed to pay first.

Saying that Procrastination could be my middle name would be an understatment. . . because this past week I received a "fix it and/or report to jail" letter in the mail. Still I waited until Friday afternoon to finally get this bill paid. I was supposed to report to Central Booking but instead I tried to make a series of phone calls to avoid doing that.

Fast forward to Sunday night - I was happily chatting online with two good friends when there comes a knock on my door. When I answer the door it is the police - which I had kind of suspected.

I assumed that because I had taken care of the bill that there would be no problems. So - I confidently showed my receipts and paperwork to the policemen fully expecting them to say "Oh Okay then" and then leave. Boy was I wrong!!

One of the policemen called in to 'headquarters' or something and this is when I learn that not only was the warrant for the insufficent check but also for failure to appear in court. COURT?? I didnt even know I was supposed to go to court. Apparently there was a court date on 10/3 that I was unaware of and therefore I did not attend.

I expected resolution of this matter - but what I did not expect was to be taken to jail in handcuffs. I was shocked, seriously shocked.

(Now, backing up a bit, I had been talking with a friend online who tried to get me to understand the seriousness of these events but I had apparently not 'gotten it' )

So off I go to jail to be booked. Fingerprints, mug shot, orange jail uniform, and into a holding cell to play the 'wait and see' game. I was told that I could "bond out" if someone would put up a certain amount and then I could get a new court date and go home. I called my parents and they came and paid the bond. . . And FIVE HOURS later I was finally released.

This, of course, is the simplistic version of the story but I'll definately say it is not an experience I want to repeat.

It has been mentioned by several people in my life that I may be 'addicted to crisis' but I HATE it. Is there a rehab center for this?? (and yeah Mr. Bill I know what you might suggest)

I'm going to end the post for now cuz I just want to sleep and escape for a while. I hope no one thinks any 'less of me' because of my circumstances because I feel low enough for all of us.

Thanks for listening . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail, I am so sorry that the payment didnt work. I love you.--Kami

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!

Love ya,
Mel

Anonymous said...

*huggles*
Always in my thoughts... expessially now

-Meggles